Vegan Crockpot Chili

Update 2023:

When I first started this blog I posted about random things with no rhyme or reason. It has evolved into a glass art blog, and I've cleaned up most of the random nonsense.

I kept my recipe posts because, quite frankly, I don't have them written down anywhere else and they are pinned to my Pinterest board so I can find them quickly. And over the years other people have pinned them too, so I want to keep them up and alive.

Admittedly, I am a cook by sight/taste/feel kinda gal and rarely take exact measurements ... but I wrote down some "ballpark" estimates. By all means tweak and modify to your hearts content to get it just right for you.

Vegan Crockpot Chili
Vegan Crockpot Chili

Vegan Crockpot Chili:

  • 1 medium onion
  • 2 stalks celery
  • 2 cups peeled and chopped carrots
  • 1 zucchini
  • 1 summer squash
  • 1 green pepper
  • 1 Tbsp minced garlic
  • 1 cup frozen corn
  • 1 small can sliced black olives - drained
  • 1 15oz can tomato sauce
  • 1 can of each black, pinto, kidney and great northern beans - drained and rinsed
  • 1 serving of homemade chili seasoning
Wash, chop, drain and rinse everything and throw it all together in the crock pot. Stir it all up and cook on low 8-10 or high 4-6 hours. I usually serve this with a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkle of shredded cheddar (and a nice huge handful of nacho chips) which makes it not vegan anymore, but still vegetarian and quite possibly the healthiest thing you can put in your mouth.

Chili Seasoning:

  • 3 Tbsp flour or 1 Tbsp cornstarch for gluten free
  • 4 tsp chili powder
  • 1 tsp chipotle chile pepper or 1 tsp crushed red pepper (adjust to your desired heat level)
  • 1 Tbsp dried minced onion
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 2 tsp sugar
  • 2 tsp ground cumin
  • 2 tsp ground coriander
  • 2 tsp dried parsley
  • 2 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp dried basil
  • 1 tsp dried oregano
  • 1/2 tsp paprika
  • 1/4 tsp black pepper
mix together and store in an airtight container.

This makes about 2 servings for my crockpot chili (5-6 quarts). I usually mix up a fresh batch when I make chili and store half in a recycled spice jar for the next time.

Please note I feed this to my Minnesota born, Norwegian heritage children so it is most definitely not spicy. If you like your chili to have a little heat I suggest increasing the amount of crushed red pepper to the spice mix and tossing in a can of green chilies and/or a diced jalapeno to give it some zing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Color Palettes: Olive & Aqua

Color Palettes: What to Pair with the Color Red

Mystic Devitrification - Avoiding Devitrification with Reichenbach 104 Mystic Glass

Recent Etsy Listings