Not long ago I visited some dear friends out West. We ate at a darling little place called Sena on Myrtle in charming Monrovia. Everyone ordered the fish tacos. While perusing the menu I saw something that sparked an epiphany: zucchini tacos. I ordered them of course. They were everything their carnivorous counterparts were ... well except for that whole meat thing.
|Vegetarian 'Fish' (Zucchini) Tacos:||Fish Taco Sauce:|
- Mix all ingredients for fish taco sauce and refrigerate for at least an hour.
- Prepare zucchini by cutting lengthwise in 2-3 inch strips.
- Rinse and pat dry.
- Beat eggs in a small bowl (for dipping).
- Combine panko crumbs and seasonings in a shallow dish.
- Dip each zucchini stick into the beaten eggs, then roll it in the panko mixture. **Do not be tempted to dump a bunch of them in at once or your panko mixture will get soggy and won't stick to the zucchini. Trust me on this. You really need to do them one at a time.
- Spread them out on a baking sheet and bake at 425 for 15 minutes, or until the coating is golden brown.
|fish taco sauce|
Serve in a warmed corn tortilla with shredded cabbage, pico de gallo, shredded cheese and fish taco sauce. Enjoy!