Vegetarian 'Fish' Tacos (Zucchini Tacos)

Update 2023: I got food recipes and glass color recipes for you on this blog! 

If you are gluten free ... I also use almond meal mixed with a small amount of cornstarch as a great breading choice for my zucchini sticks and slices.

Having been a vegetarian for most of my life, there are few meals for which I have been unable to find a decent vegetarian substitute - at least for things I want to eat. The 'fish taco' phenomenon, however, has eluded me ... until now. Enter the most versatile veggie: zucchini!

zucchini vegetarian 'fish' tacos

Vegetarian 'Fish' (Zucchini) Tacos:

  • 2-3 small zucchini
  • 1-2 eggs
  • 1 1/2 cups Panko bread crumbs
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • 1 tsp oregano
  • dash garlic powder
  • dash dried lemon peel
  • dash chipotle pepper
  • salt & pepper

Fish Taco Sauce:

  • 1/2 c sour cream
  • 1/2 c mayo
  • 1 lime (juice)
  • 1/2 tsp cumin
  • 1/2 tsp coriander (ground)
  • 1/2 tsp dill weed
  • 1/2 tsp oregano
  • 1/4 tsp chipotle pepper
  • 1/4 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 Tbsp fresh chop cilantro

  1. Mix all ingredients for fish taco sauce and refrigerate for at least an hour.
  2. Prepare zucchini by cutting lengthwise in 2-3 inch strips.
  3. Rinse and pat dry.
  4. Beat eggs in a small bowl (for dipping).
  5. Combine panko crumbs and seasonings in a shallow dish.
  6. Dip each zucchini stick into the beaten eggs, then roll it in the panko mixture. **Do not be tempted to dump a bunch of them in at once or your panko mixture will get soggy and won't stick to the zucchini. Trust me on this. You really need to do them one at a time.
  7. Spread them out on a baking sheet and bake at 425 for 15 minutes, or until the coating is golden brown.
I admittedly never measure my coatings. I just pour out my spices into the breadcrumbs and mix it around until the color and distribution looks right. Play with the spices. Tweak the amounts - especially if you like things hot. A small dash of chipotle is quite enough for my Minnesota kids.

Serve in a warmed corn tortilla with shredded cabbage, pico de gallo, shredded cheese and fish taco sauce. Enjoy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Color Palettes: Olive & Aqua

Color Palettes: What to Pair with the Color Red

Mystic Devitrification - Avoiding Devitrification with Reichenbach 104 Mystic Glass

Recent Etsy Listings